1. 请注意下列习语中word单复数的使用:
(1) have a word with sb. 同某人说句话或谈谈
have words with sb. 同某人争吵
May I have a word with you? 我可以同你谈谈吗?
I had words with my girlfriend last night. 昨晚我同女朋友少嘴了。
(2) in a (或one) word 一句话,总而言之
in other words 换句话说,也就是说
In a word, we must do our best to do it. 一句话,我们必须尽力去做。
You say you took the book without his permission. In other words, you stole it.
你说你未经他允话拿了那本书,也就是说,你偷了那本书。
2. 在下列习语中,word 表示“诺言”、“消息”等意义,一般只用单数:keep one’s word(守诺), break one’s word(失诺), give one’s word (许诺), leave word(留言), send word(捎信)等。如:
They failed to keep their word. 他们没能守诺。
He sent word that he would he late. 他通知说他将迟来。
Please leave word (for me) with my child if I’m not at home. 如果我不在家,请留个信叫我孩子转达。
注:word 表示“消息”,还通常用于“word came of +名词”或“word came that+从句”等结构,意为“有消息说”、“据说”。注意这里的 word 只用单数,前面一般不用定冠词(但偶尔也有人用)。如:
Word came of his success abroad. 有消息说他在国外发迹了。
Word (或The word) came that he could not come. 消息传来说他不能来了。
3. eat one’s words 常被直择为“食言”,其实它的准确含义是“收回前言”、“承认错误”(= take back one’s words)。