A:What are we going to do? I can't get the car out of this ditch. I'm stuck!该怎么办?车子无法离开这个沟渠,我被困住了。
B:I'm worried, Tom. I haven't seen any other cars for almost an hour.我好担心,我已经快一小时没看到其他车子了。
A:I know. This is terrible. What can we do? This snow doesn't stop falling!我知道,这很糟糕。怎么办呢?雪一直下个不停。
B:I told you we should have stayed in town today.The weather report said 100 percent chance of snow.Why did you want to come up here?我告诉过你今天应该待在城里的。气象报告说百分之百会下雪。为什么你想上来这里?
A:I wanted to show you the cabin. We only had another half-hour to go.我想让你看看小木屋,我们再走半小时就到了。
B:Well, now we're stuck. What can we do?现在被困住了,怎么办呢?
A:I don't know.我不知道。
B:I've heard that when this happens, it's important to save energy.我听过这种事情发生时,节省能源很重要。
A:What do you mean?怎么说呢?
B:We're stranded here, Tom. We may be here a long time.We need to conserve the gas in the car. The car's energy is what will keep us warm.我们被困在这里了,可能会很久。我们需要保存车子的汽油,车子的能量会让我们保持暖和。
A:I have plenty of gas.我还有很多汽油。
B:Yes, but the gas and the battery both have to stay working.We can't just let the car run and run.If we do, it will die soon. Then we'll freeze.是的,但是汽油和电池都还在消耗中,我们不能让车子一直发动下去。如果这样做的话,车子很快就会熄火,然后我们就会冻僵。
A:So what can we do?那么我们怎么办呢?
B:Turn the lights off.Then, run the car and the heater only about fifteen minutes every hour.That will conserve the heat as long as possible.把灯关掉,然后每小时发动车子和开暖气十五分钟。那样才会尽可能维持热度。
A:Alright. That's a good idea.好的,好主意。
B:I wish we hadn't come up here. Now we'll probably be here for days.我真希望我们没上来,现在可能会待在这里好几天。
A:Days?好几天?
B:Yes, it happens.That is what happens in big snowstorms. People get stranded for days.没错,这发生过。大的暴风雪中会发生这种事,人会被困上好几天。
A:Oh, my God! It's good we have food.喔,天啊!还好我们有吃的。
B:Probably we'll survive.But turn the car off for about forty-five minutes. Then we'll turn it on again.我们可能还能存活。不过先关掉车子约四十五分钟,然后再发动。
A:Okay, I'll follow your advice.好,我照你的话做。