A:Would you like a cigarette?
抽烟吗?
B:No,thanks.I've decided to give up smoking.
不,谢谢。我已经决定戒烟了。
A:Really? Why?
真的?为什么?
B:Well,it's just that I think if you don't enjoy doing something any more,you should stop doing it.
嗯,就是因为我觉得如果你不喜欢再干什么事情的话,你就不要做好了。
A:I see. You mean you don't enjoy smoking any more?
噢。你的意思是说你不再喜欢吸烟啦?
B:That's right. You should give it up, too. It's bad for your health.
对呀。你也应该戒掉。吸烟对你的健康不利。
A:Stop talking like my mother. That's what she keeps saying.
别又像我妈妈似的。她就总这么说。
B:But it's true. It's a nasty habit. I can't think why I ever started. Anyway ,it's obviously got you in its grip !
可我说的是真的。吸烟是个坏习惯。我都想不明白我开始是怎么吸上的。反正它把你控制住了。
A:What do you mean? What are you talking about?
你是什么意思?你在说什么呀?
B:I mean you couldn't give it up!
我是说你戒不掉啦!
A:Who? Me? Could't give up smoking? Nonsense! Of course I could! I know I could!
谁戒不掉?我吗?戒不掉吸烟?胡说!我当然能戒掉!我知道我能戒掉!
B:How do you know?
你怎么知道你戒得掉呢?
A:Because I've already proved it. Smoking's the easiest thing in the world to give up. I've done it hundreds of times!
因为我已经证明过了。吸烟是世界上最容易戒掉的东西。我都戒了好多次了!