H:How are you doing, Andrew?
你最近怎么样,安德鲁?
A:Not well. I’ve been feeling pretty lonely lately.
不怎么样。我最近觉得特别孤单。
H:But you have so many friends! How could you be lonely?
可是,你有那么多朋友!怎么会觉得孤单呢?
A:You know what they say'a friend to all is a friend to none'. I don’t feel like I really know any of my friends. In fact, I should probably call them acquaintances, not friends.
你知道有句俗话是这么说的:交游满天下,知心无一人。我觉得我对自己的朋友们其实哪一个都不了解。坦白说,我不该管他们叫朋友,而是应该叫熟人。
H:What about me? I’m your friend.
那我算什么呢?我是你的朋友啊!
A:I know you are, you are my girlfriend. I wish I had a guy friend to hang out with sometimes.
我知道你是,可是你是我的女朋友。我希望自己能有个同性朋友,有时候可以混在一起消磨时间的那种。
H:I know what you mean. I find it difficult to make new friends, too. It’s not as easy as it was when we were young, is it?
我懂你的意思。我也觉得结交新朋友不是一件容易的事。不像我们年轻的时候那么容易,对吧?
A:Not at all.
一点没错。
H:I’ve made a lot of new friends since I started learning English. Maybe you could join a club or take a class to make some new friends.
我开始学英语以来认识了不少新朋友。如果你去参加个俱乐部或者报个班也许就能认识新朋友了。
A:That’s a good idea.
这主意不错。
H:What kind of qualities do you look for in a friend?
你希望找到的朋友有什么样的品质?
A:I’m not sure. I guess I’d like to meet some people who have a positive attitude and want to have a good time.
我也说不好。我想我希望认识一些在一起很开心,有积极人生态度的人。
H:People who play ultimate Frisbee have a positive attitude; maybe you should join the ultimate Frisbee club.
玩极限飞碟的人通常都有积极向上的生活态度,你可以去参加极限飞碟俱乐部。
A:That’s a possibility. Thanks!
这主意不错。谢谢!