A:May, we are fools to hang out at noon. It's dying hot today. My skin is too weak to be exposed under the summer sun.
阿美,我们选择中午出来逛街,真是不明智,今天太热了。我的皮肤很敏感,不能暴露在夏天烈日下
B:Do you have any sunscreen lotion?
你有防晒霜吗?
A:You know, honey, I used it all on the way over.
亲爱的,你该知道,我一路上都在用啊。
B:I think I'm getting a heart stroke.
我的心脏都快受不了了。
A:The heat is driving crazy and I hate my new hat.
酷热要把我逼疯了,而且我讨厌我的新帽子。
B:Why? It's brand new, and it's perfect on you.
为什么?它是全新的,而且你戴着很漂亮。
A:But I bought it to get rid of the heat. Now it does nothing but burning my head.
但是我买它是为了防晒的,现在除了让我的头感觉像火烧之外,它什么也没做。
B:Beauty costs, honey.
亲爱的,美丽是要付出代价的。
A:Laugh all you want, whatever. We need to get out of the heat.
只管笑吧!不过我们真的要避避暑。
B:Walking under the sun is certainly not the way.
在太阳下走肯定不是个办法。
A:Give me a break. It's not funny.
饶了我吧。一点都不好玩。
B:Right. Sorry. Anyway, the radio said that it'll rain later today.
好的。对不起啦。不管怎么说,广播说今天晚一点会下雨的。
A:Hope so! Good thing is that autumn is just around the corner.
希望如此!还好秋天就快要来了。
注释:
hang out 闲荡(俚语)
skin n. 皮肤
weak adj. 虚弱的
expose vt. 使暴露
sunscreen lotion 防晒霜
crazy adj. 疯狂的
any way adv. 不管怎样
corner n. 角落
1.It's dying hot day.
这里的dying并不是“死”的意思,而是作为副词来修饰后面的形容hot,表示程度很大,中文也有相似的表达:“我饿死了。”(当然谁也不会死。)
2.Beauty costs.
这里是阿美开古奇的玩笑时的幽默表达,因为前文中提到古奇新买的帽子,看着漂亮,其实却特别热。中文中我们也常说的相似表达有:“要风度不要温度”。
2025国考·省考课程试听报名